Monday, December 18, 2006

Son of a beach





Well, I guess I can write now that I've FINALLY stamped and enveloped my obligatory lame-o Christmas letter. This year I didn't have time for a fake smiles photograph of us all with gelled hair and matching snowman sweaters...but i suppose we've never used gel (except for that one time for Billie's ballet recital...i'll never forget that!) and it's too warm for sweaters...so, those traditions will have to be carried out by the more organized folks in this world.
Here's what I have been able to find the time for: A long-ago planned trip to meet our dear and not-so-near friends, it was a little pact we made before leaving Okinawa "We'll meet half-way when we're living in the States." And we DID it! it wasn't about the location, or the distance, or the dolly parton show tickets, it was all about the friends. They weren't going to let a little strep throat stop them...and we were going to bring our sick, hacking, cough right along with us...mapquest misdirections and all...we made a great time of it. We found letterboxes, seashells, somehow made the kids stop jumping on the bed long enough to allow the babies their daily naps, we swam, we made a tightrope for the seagulls, we took long walks on the beach, watched beautiful sunsets, we made crafts, we were glued to trashy reality tv shows, we made chicken fingers and ate at least 9 apples a day. We had fun despite Jackson continuing (even escalating) his level of recent obnoxious behavior, we have all had at least a slight degree of hearing loss from being confined to a small hotel apartment with Billie's skewed volume of a 'speaking' voice, managed to get through an ear-ache day with and otherwise perfect Camille, and Noah had a few time outs but was really an angel in comparison with the blondie twins here.
So, that's what happened and how it turned out to be so much fun i just can't say...maybe it's the friendship i've cherished so much that i've been missing for months as I search through the sea of other stay-at-home moms......good friends are hard to find.

2 comments:

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

So glad we did it! Your post cracked me up and made me miss you guys even more. Can't wait for future trips...RV? Thailand again? Europe? or anywhere else...just let us know and we will be there.Thanks for being such good friends! P.S. It made me sad to see the baby pics of Camille and Sloane. How did they grow up so quickly?

Clan Mac Mama said...

OOH I am so jealous! I can't wait to see the "blondie twins" and my beautiful goddaughter. I'm eagerly awaiting some nerdling outings and some serious do nothing but watch the kids play days. I'll call you today or tomorrow. We might finally be adjusted soon!
SEE YOU SOON!!!!!
Luv,
Tiffers