Thursday, October 16, 2008

virtual friends

Today I caught up with old friends. What a lovely day I had, peeking in on people I love, seeing their children grow, guffawing myself silly over their hilarious stories of what happens during ordinary days at home. Does it sound wrong to thank God for blogs?
One thing I'm good at: making friends. Bill has pointed out that I keep making friends with female versions of him. It's true, I have all these strong, determined, passionate friends. They have all these amazing skills, they're organized and changing the world and Mothers and struggling and creative and wise and selfish and warm and sometimes I agree with them. They even keep up with current events. Imagine! Here's the thing about having wonderful friends...I am HORRIBLE about keeping up with my friends. I'm not one of those people who loses friends. (Certainly not as often as I lose cameras.) There are a few who've fallen between the couch cushions, I'm sure. For the most part they're still here...around here...somewhere (as, I'm sure the camera is.) I'll find time to send out an email and a Christmas letter at least once a year.
I'm weary about much of the 21st century stuff- gave up Nutrasweet just last week and I do run a whole house without dryer sheets in the laundry. But I do loves me some blogs! Thank goodness for the women who write them. I'm sure they'll be fun and horrifying when I'm old and look at them as records of life but for now they're just this incredible connection to my friends all over the world. Thanks, girls. I love you. It's nice to hear from people who aren't making popcorn and string cheese for dinner tonight.

5 comments:

Pat said...

"strong, determined, passionate friends. They have all these amazing skills, they're organized and changing the world and Mothers and struggling and creative and wise and selfish and warm and sometimes I agree with them. They even keep up with current events..." Hmmmmmm. That's exactly how I'd describe YOU to MY friends.

The Solley Six said...

Well, I was describing YOU that way, Pat. So, I did it first. So there.

melanie said...

for all your praise you sure aren't very complementary of me and my "crack house" as you like to refer to it! now I feel bad the obvious chaos of our home exudes itself even via cyberspace.

Clan Mac Mama said...

Well, we love you too and LOVE to read all about your solley six adventures all over the world. lately, i'm living vicariously through the adventures of you and lucia, since venturing to cvs to get a prescription was too tiring for me yesterday!
and to answer your question, having 2 babies in there is starting to feel like i'm hosting a boxing match for a couple of 6 legged alien cats.
either that, or they both have a future in sports that involve goals and punting.
MISS YOU TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
call you soon!
love,
tiff
(another crazy mom who serves cereal for dinner...)

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

I love you, too. Bill is right. You are good at making friends, lots of different kinds of friends all over the world. I love that about you.And I agree...it is good to have the blogs to keep up with each other...how else would there be documentation of your dreds?!