Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Excuses, excuses, excuses

See how close we came here to getting a Christmas picture before church last Sunday? Closer than ever before...3 and 1/2 kids are in this photo, sweatervests, bows and all! At least I got the Christmas letter out. Sat down one evening, typed it out and stayed up until 1am stuffing the wrong sized envelopes so they could get out the next day.

Each year my standard sinks just a little lower. This year one page with no card, no cute artwork, and no glossy photo was acceptable to me. I also forgot to sign our names...

At this rate, next year you might just get an empty envelope. Or...there's always a chance that I could IMprove and you might recieve a handmade card, artwork, picture, years summary and all. But let's be real; that isn't likely to happen until the kids are in college and at that point- sending out their Santa drawings won't even be very interesting.

I really want Christmas to be about the rituals and not the presents- we LOVE doing the advent calendar each morning, the advent candle each night at dinner, we went carolling yesterday, we'll open one gift each after Christmas eve mass, we make snowflakes and cookies, and my Christmas 'card' becomes less each year- these are our Christmas traditions.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Robyn said...

Hey, at least you GOT a card out! :) Check out our Christmas pictures on the blog (it's a virtual card, right?) to see Sloane Jr (um, I mean Sarah!). Merry Christmas!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Coordinating and festive holiday clothes AND a letter is a big deal in my book (we're no where near that level of accomplishment!)...not to mention all of the lovely traditions you do together. Hope you guys had a wonderful day and wishing you all the best for 2009!

Marjorie said...

hey, I didn't even get Christmas cards out this year. At first I thought I'd do New Years greetings, but now I'm thinking Valentines are the way to go.

Loved your letter. I miss you so much but y'know, the whole "if you love something let it go and then don't read it's blog and pretend you never knew it at all 'cuz it hurts so damn much."

Hey, join facebook, okay? Much easier than doing a blog....

Pat said...

Hey, how'd you get time to do all these great posts? I am a witness: you are occupied 24/7 and then some!

Thanks for a simply glorious Christmas--I'll never ever ever forget all the fun and joy.

la said...

hey,,,thanks for the package! i just got it. you are too funny....i love "turkey snacks!" by the way, i saw your mom and bob on Christmas...they stopped by my parents' because i ordered some MK stuff...we had a nice impromptu lunch. she said that you guys will be back here next year around dec. or jan.? i cant WAIT!!! thanks again for the package...im gonna go eat the "hot corn" doritos! hahahaha. LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

Clan Mac Mama said...

I didn't even get my card OR pic out this year and now I can't move off the couch, so pat yourself on the back for your efforts! STILL huge and SO ready to deliver!!! I'll keep you posted. AND what does la mean that you'll be back next dec/jan? WHAT IS THE WORD?
love you,
tiff