Thursday, August 17, 2006

getting it together





i know i haven't written in a while but i didn't want to bore you with my social break-downs and culture shock issues. so, i'm just back from the grocery store and i'm FINALLY getting the hang of it. This was a whole dilemma: the super frou-frou gourmet food was too overwhelming and i'd come home with lots of olives because they looked so nice with the display...greens and blacks and excotic regions of the world all represented...i'd come home with mounds of peaches and there'd be nothing for dinner. 'The ghetto grocery store will be more manageable' I decided. But there's lines and poor people and I can't find the tomatoes in the balsamic vinegar falovring i like....and there's STILL too many sections- are refried beans under 'hispanic' or canned veggies? Ack! Each time I'd be there with the 3 kids, people smiling at me because Sloane is in a sling and has a hair fountain on top of her head and I just couldn't make any decisions. But this morning I applied for the 'member' card, i took the time to read the prices, i bought two for one and 12 yogurt for $6 deals (that's when it's so good to have a big family- what family of 3 could get 12 yogurts?) and i came away with what i needed! Hooray!
if you're reading this and thinking...hmm...things were a lot more interesting when they lived overseas....you're right.
we are so ORDINARY. Bill goes to work for 8 hours a day, his actual driving time from door to door clocks in at 11minutes. It's flex-time so if he wants to go late, he can stay late and vice versa. He's home most days by 4:30pm. We can still meet for lunch. The people he works with are cool and smart and he's got a flashy title. There is a window right over the kitchen sink so when I'm in there fixing up some olives on a plate for dinner with fresh off the vine tomatoes from the neighbors yard, I see his not too old car pull up and he gets out, in khakis, a button up plaid shirt, with one of those around the neck shoelace key holder/ID card things with glasses and nice shoes and I just think this must be how normal feels. He's been at his corner office with windows all day and I've been here and at the grocery store, Making forts in the backyard, learning the States and reading for our morning homeschool routine and feeding Sloane baby food at least 6 times a day because she is an EATER. So, if you're still reading at this point: take a little check of how you feel and that will give you a sense of how boring my life is. But mentally i keep things exciting with worries of becoming friends with yuppies and reading about 3 fiction books a week. By the way go get: Hello, I must be going from your library right now. It is SO funny.
Like here's something I could write: we got our new dining room table yesterday.
but that is SO LAME- who wants to read about that?
I'm going back outside to play soccer with the kids.

2 comments:

Clan Mac Mama said...

BORING? You can buy 25 kinds of mustard! Kidding. I know it stinks to have to make the change, but you are like gumby, so I know you'll adjust & meet TONS of crunchy granola moms with little nerdlings. Me & my nerdlings can't wait to come home in december to hang out! I'm envisioning lots of cool day trips to hang out in the Solley family abode. We Miss You!!
luv,
tiff & co.

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Watch out! Your yuppie fears may be happening to you...Bill working for corporate America, living in N.VA, driving a minivan, and playing soccer...are you becoming a yuppie family? Have you placed the personal ad seeking non-yuppy, cool, homeschooling, family friends? Seriously, I know you will meet some super cool friends soon. I loved seeing the photos. The back yard looks great and so do the kids. I can't wait to get near a good public library system and I'll check out your book suggestion. miss you guys!