Wednesday, August 30, 2006

finding purpose



Okay, so i'm setting up house and it seems pretty self-centered (even by Billie's standards) to be spending every single second of my time setting up our new house. As if clean dishes and rug placement has anything to do with anything at the end of the day. And it's making me crazy so I found the SUPEREST website. it's volunteermatch.org everyone go there RIGHT NOW and figure out where you can sign up and do something that matters. By the way- i'm saying this to those of you who aren't a teacher at a school for kids who live in a less-than-perfect environment like my cousin Laura. Like, if you feel good after you cleaned behind the dryer...i'm calling you out...that's TOO much time that could be spend doint something cool like working for the center for multicultural human services like i'm going to do. how perfect is that? because i'm all freaked out at the super stores myself and i've taught english in Japan and would be so good at helping someone with their 7th grade homework or a job application so, that's what i'm doing. This is going to be something i do with the kids along so they get an idea of how people help eachother because i'm sure we'll be learning at least as much as we're teaching!! i'm SO excited. screw the laundry!

4 comments:

The Gore Gang said...

that's actually mostly why I love my job so much. otherwise I wouldn't bother with the headache of have both parents work with 2 young kids. the bulk of what I doing is helping the families stay happy in adjusting to a new country, new language, minimal income, and a spouse who is never ever home. I only wish the network for families we've set up here could realistically be applied to the rest of the world. But looks like you're going to work on that!

Clan Mac Mama said...

You so rock. I just got home from CWOC & missed you so much I got teary eyed. Sorry I'm not calling much, KM is in full swing & I am over the edge. I WOULD SO LOVE to do something like that! My time will come. For now, CWOC will have to be the thing for me! Counting the days till Christmas.
YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND & I MISS YOU TOO DEATH!!!!!!!!!! and that matters way more than the stupid laundry!
Love to the nerdlings & big bald nerd.
too type A tiff

The Solley Six said...

JILL?! i thought you'd dropped off the face of Okinawa?!!! HOW THE HECK ARE YOU? I'm leaving a comment on my own blog just to get in touch with you because did you get my email from ages ago? road-trip...yes! be here tomorrow for dinner!
WRITE ME!

The Solley Six said...

i know i know...i updated...it's just that there's captain underpants to read and the fall festival to attend...i'm lame