Wednesday, November 22, 2006

a gun, by any other name...



Jackson just said the funniest thing. Background info: For the last two days Jackson has lost his privilege for one of his guys before breakfast. Today he said "Mom, it's good I forgot about this shooter guy while I was doing my morning routine because I wouldn't have gotten to play with him if I lost my privilege so early." Very true. And do you see how saying 'shooter' makes it not a real G-U-N? semantics much? ahh well, it makes me feel better about it at least and we all have our little things we pretend to believe.
And did you notice how he just expects that the privilege will be lost- the question is when. He has been SO ornery (thank goodness for spell check!) lately that he has worked it into his very being to answer each request for action ("please get your shoes on" "please zip your coat up" "please don't poke me with the lightsaber while I'm taking a shower") with a defiant and teenagerish "oooh M-OOO-m!" like, he's totally annoyed with me. He says it ALL THE TIME- even when I'm like "Get in the van we're going to Nolan's!" (His best friend) there it is "oh MOM!" This is like lemon juice in my eye! And I have to remember that Billie went through this phase- when she stopped doing everything nicely and wanted to refuse everything....everything. He can't stop himself from negotiating- He tells me "I'll eat the rest of this lollipop if you let us stay at the playground for 2 more hours." As if I need him to eat the lollipop?!!
If only I could make it part of my being not to hear the rudeness of it, it would be alright. He does get in the van and he'll wander elsewhere with the lightsaber it's just he has to get that last word in to make sure I know how much I'm infringing on his life there.
Picture: Billie and Jackson have taken to working on the stairs in order to avoid Sloane. She still tries to be involved, but doesn't have the death-wish to get on the stairs. Billie is working hard on one of a million 'art' projects. Jackson is holding his 'shooter guy' shortly after morning routine.

1 comment:

thekellyfive said...

Finally... someone else with a euphemism for guns. We call water guns "squirters". My parents didn't let us play with guns, and we have the same rule. It's too easy to blur the line between fantasy and reality with those things. Some think I'm making too big of a deal, but gotta stick with your convictions!