Sunday, February 10, 2008

How the brioche stitch saved my life

Sometimes things are just so awful that all you can do is laugh...or crumble to the floor and break down in tears. Good news: not asthma...Billie was just regular old sick, then Bill got it....then Jackson...yesterday Sloane was feverish and ill all day...now it's my turn. Cort is well but as often as he's sucking on all of our fingers, I'm not sure how long that will last. Billie has recovered. Jackson only hurled once today. Sloane is still pretty sick and I am writing this with no make-up, un showered with a towel wrapped around my throat neckbrace style to keep the warm and cool sensations from my Vicks Vapor rub going just a little longer. Bill is the sickest I've ever seen him and he's been to work long hours every day- learning the ropes with pale blue skin and sweaty chills. I think I'm over jet lag and I'm only sleeping in because of the hours I spend awake in the middle of the night holding cool washclothes on various foreheads, re-filling the humidifiers and administering tylenol. So, what can one do when you can't sleep because you want to stay awake and make sure everyone is breathing? The Brioche Stitch! I had no idea what this was...but the good 'ol internet brought me to it and I've spent 48 hours trying to figure it out and finally just gotten the correct equation for a pattern to make a scarf I saw that looks squishy and cute.
As for Turkey- it's wonderful whenever we leave the house. We've found playgrounds and markets and we run outside everytime we hear the bread man calling. He walks around with fresh bread balanced on a board on his head - bread rings like pretzels kind of with sesame seeds toasted on it.
And we saw our apartment...did I say it was 6 bedrooms? My mistake. It's actually not six....there are seven bedrooms. It's still not been painted and cleaned so we're not moving in this week but we saw the layout and if I was freaked out before...now I'm just paralyzed with fear. Hide and seek takes on a whole new dimension in our two story penthouse apartment.
Other good things about Turkey are the women are so fashionable and stylish- it's fun to people watch. All the men melt and gush over the cuteness of the kids and we get lots of approving looks as opposed to the fear and shock on peoples faces when we walk into an American restaurant. It's a very warm place. When we drove to our apartment we got a little glimpse of the suburbs beyond the city. We can't see much from here because it's smog all around. The view from our apartment is of snow covered barren hills. Like where the sidewalk ends or something...our street just dead ends and the only thing beyond it is the empty hills. Bustling city on one side...uncharted land on the other. Time for bedtime stories so I'll sign off.

7 comments:

Pat said...

Oh my--talk about out of the flying first class carpet and into Ankara realities. Wonderful entry, though--hope you all get better fast!

Anonymous said...

You sound like you are having a fabulous time - how wonderful!

Only 7 bedrooms - will be very tight space for you all - ROFL! Lots of room for MORE BABIES!

:-) Tammi

Meg Solley said...

Rosalind can sit up like a champ: straight-backed, upright, and stable(ish). But she still hasn't shown any inclination to roll over.

PS - I had the flu all weekend too. I feel better knowing I was just sharing in the general Solley suffering!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Hope you guys feel better soon. Love hearing the descriptions of the bread man and where the sidewalk ends. And kudos to Cort on crawling...that will make your two story penthouse a lot more fun!

Unknown said...

Your posting is so descriptive-- i don't even need to see pictures! I can envision it all in my head. So sorry to hear everyone is sick--sounds like you took a bug from the U.S. Something nasty has been going around and it's pretty vicious. Mateo has become a little stunt man--he takes lift-off when he sees something he wants. Doesn't matter if it's across the room--he'll still throw himself as far as possible to get there and move every part of his body to reach it. Eladia keeps asking about Billie, Jack, and Sloane--I'll have to show her this blog so she knows where everyone went! Keep up the postings!

Clan Mac Mama said...

I always wondered where the sidewalk ends! NOW I can tell evie where when we read the book. LOL It sounds fascinating and wonderful and cool! I can't wait to visit. I'll be saving my pennies. (better make that dollars!) I hope you're all better. WE miss you, but are so glad you're loving it!
love to all,
tiff

melanie said...

anything else going on besides the brioche stitch? we're all anxiously awaiting more news!