Thursday, May 20, 2010

when the bees sting

I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad:

Washing my face with plain ol' buy at the grocery store SEA salt.

My new trim treads that I wear around the house and feel sore the next day so it's like a version of doing nothing to exercise that actually works....maybe. I have only had them for a week but my calves are killing me!!

The perfectly funny book about momhood called When Did I Get Like This, which is how I feel my blog would be like if I wrote a book and had lots of different experiences.

Thinking about getting dreadlocks again...

Being more green: You probably already know that I don't buy paper-towels, haven't for about 8 years and I always use paper napkins. I've also given up dryer sheets and I am happy to report that I haven't purchased ANY household cleaning products for 2 years. I keep a cutesy spray bottle of vinegar water in each bathroom and use that for all sorts of spills: carpet stains, pee on the floor, juice puddles left in the bathtub, strawberry jam stuck on the couch pillow and found months later, boogers stuck to the wall...you know, all the stuff around the house. For the bathrooms & kitchen I use microfiber cloths.
Recently I gave up wipes, you know like, those little disposable diaper wipes people use on their kids all the time. I bought a set of these cuties and I keep a couple in the car, a few in my purse, they are great for runny noses and I always have water on hand so I can wet them and use them if I have a sticky popsicle to clean up after. I'm never buying wasteful wipes again- this pack of 20 will wash and wear through the next 10 years.
For eco-friendly lunch packaging I bought some silicone cupcake holders for our bento box snacks- zip lock baggies are OUT!
While I'm at it with the linky-love I must say that we've put these popsicle molds to frequent (near daily use) for months and I have never had a broken or stuck popsicle! Juice is so much simpler than individually wrapped, dye filled popsicles and the kids are equally eager for the handmade version of the icy treat.

I must admit I love the cutesieness of things and then I appreciate them more; I think I might use and enjoy things more when they are cute so I make an effort to take a cute path when going green and that makes things not only better for the Earth but also better in my house- which is a plus.


And catching up with Brandye from Okinawa today! She's totally cute.

Please share what you've been loving lately!

2 comments:

la said...

ummm...we fill up 2 recycle bins a week and usually dont even fill up ONE garbage bag...i use vinegar instead of weed killer outside (i HOPE that will work)...and i dont even do paper towels, either...i have a roll that i bought for half price the day after Christmas LAST YEAR and i am still on that same roll...how's that??

Unknown said...

I recycle. I reuse our ziplock snack bags and I feel really bad whenever I use aluminum foil, which is pretty frequently.