Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Goodbye, Bulgaria

We have just landed in Minonk and Bulgaria is in the headlines here.  Tragic and awful for these people on vacation, away from home and having fun.  I feel a connection to Bulgaria and love it dearly like an akward and innocently offensive cousin.  We made so many friends, from so many countries in Bulgaria.  And I truly loved being surprised every time we went out...for two years...there was always something to goggle over.  Bulgaria is so quirky and people can be so friendly, warm and so unabashedly rude that you never know what you're going to run into.
Driving around on our big highways and having to stay focused on my will in an effort not to buy everything in sight for it's discounted price tag seems to be what I notice today in midwest strip malls.
Coming home is so cozy and comfortable...but going out is a little sad and I might even miss Sofia three days after I left, potholes and all.

No comments: