Thursday, January 25, 2007

Get out of the kitchen



So, i hear a lot of comments that seem to indicate i have a perfect life, it's true my life is pretty awesome but i have problems too, i just don't usually dump them on you blog readers (the 4 of you might stop reading if i do) but here's a dose of reality...i hate my kitchen. i've tried to adjust...but i can't...it's just awful. how can a room with 40% of it's wall space taken up by windows be dark and creepy? i don't know but my kitchen is. there are 4 drawers. that's right 4 and they are all VERY small, so utensils like whisks and spatulas (see...i know kitchen lingo) are forced up on the counter tops in ugly display next to the appliances which have no room in the 4 cabinets (because plates, cups and food have to go somewhere). And that's my kitchen...which was not a roaring success but somehow tolerable until the dishwasher broke and now...well, it's beyond hope. I don't even want to go IN there! So, i dare you to compliment me now....do you like the way that there's one clean dish in the dish rack? Or the way I've posted vacation type postcard art up so that I can imagine myself somewhere else? How about the big bag of rice, which can't fit anywhere and so has a place between the dishwasher and the back door? Or how about that the microwave blew up with sparks and freaky-ness after we were NOT able to fix the darn dishwasher with the new parts we bought and waited for them to come in last night? Is that fun? And then, it's not really mine...it's my Mother-in-laws (who I think has seen the light now that she has a big Paris place) but handled this teensy room with such grace that she actually believed it when she said "It works really well for me!" and came up with all kinds of responses for the inevitable look of shock and "My GOD! How can you DO anything in this kitchen?!" remark that comes from each new house visitor. My responses are things like..."well, we eat a lot of 3 minute ramen noodles" and "i know...it's really hard because Sloane can reach the stove from any point in the room, so I can hardly hold her and get a glass of water." I don't know how Pat did it- but she's a chef, and possibly just much more optimistic or determined to make it work than me. In any respect, she's a better person than me. And there's your answer to the question I always get: "how do you find time to sew? /read all those books? /order 26 things from Etsy in one day?" I have nothing but time...because i avoid the kitchen, eat P,B &J, ignore the dishes, eat with disposable wooden chopsticks when all utensils are dirty (i suppose some Moms will clean some spoons before breakfast but billie and jackson have totally had cheerios with chopsticks...because i had to finish this really great chapter in the book i'm reading RIGHT NOW...for Sloane? frozen peas- no utensils required!). So, that's my world...not perfect at all, as you can see. And i hope in proving that i'm not the perfect Mom i won't have offended you all into not being my friends. There's worse things than wearing a pair of jeans out of the laundry hamper and eating breakfast with chopsticks? right? By the way, these pictures are taken on two different days of dirty dishes and 2 seconds after this picture was taken Jackson broke this fake drawer off the cabinet! perhaps the kitchen senses my hatred and that's why it's rebelling against me so?!

4 comments:

thekellyfive said...

Ok... so now you totally know how I feel when you said I was "organized"... many days my kitchen looks like this, but dishes aren't my main nemesis... that would be the laundry that never seems to get done. The only time the house gets truly clean is when my mother visits!

Nannou said...

Hi – This is my 2nd note because I can’t get comments to work. I’ve tried and tried over the months. Now Bob is over my shoulder telling me step by step.
Angi – because you can leave dishes in the kitchen and because you allow Billie and Jackson to each Cheerios with chopsticks – those are the things that make you a great mom!!!! I bet they figured out many ways to use those chopsticks and loved doing it. I believe there are many children in the world that would love to have this experience. The dishwasher and microwave will be fixed. I understand you miss the dishwasher because it’s been your favorite appliance since you were 7 or 8. I love you so so so much Nannou

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Well, after seeing the photo and hearing the description I think our friendship is over...NOT! I love you even more and hope you get the dishwasher, microwave, fixed soon and just throw away your dishes...remember Oura Wan..you only really need five (make that six) bowls/plates, etc. Chopsticks and cheerios sounds like a great morning game that we might have to start here! I agree get out of the kitchen and let me know your thoughts on the book Bitch in the Kitchen.

Clan Mac Mama said...

Oh, Angie I miss you so much! Sometimes when I find myself turning into MISS PERFECT I remember that you are what keeps me grounded. Save me from myself and keep writing!
My house REALLY does look like it exploded right now and I only marginally care. :-)
Luv,
Tiff