Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Just for you



So, I've got a new addiction. Perhaps it comes from moving and having no friends (I have made one friend now...hi, Maria!). Maybe it's cuz I don't have a "J-O-B" where I accomplish things and put them in the 'completed' file. Or it could be a desperate desire to be original in this land of manufactured-in-China-by-the-3-millions. Perhaps Japan was such a good source of funky oddities that now I hate to walk into Target and Ikea and see a trash can that's nice, red and shiny and if I buy it I'm sure to see it in the next 30 stores and homes I walk into. So, I've recently developed this craving for hand made things. Like, I've always liked them...but now I want to own them all, and pass them on to my children and create things from nothing (or from old things) and turn them into something new with my own two little hands. I want to have things that no one has ever seen before and I need to have NOT the same picture frame as you. Then I want to go to everyone else's house and be treated to looking at all the incredible 'i've-never-see-anything-like-it' s that they've collected! So, that's all good but just how many children's artwork inspired embroidery pillows can i make? And, how can i take the kids to those arts and craft shows when there's all that glass around? So...my poor little craving gets denied. UNTIL NOW.
It's ebay for handmadeness. And it's inspiration for me. After last night when I saw this but didn't buy it because i had already bought this and this.
I had to run to the thrift shop this morning and get a bunch of old kids T-shirts with cute prints to cut up and turn them into THIS: Pretty cute for $3.50- huh? AND I have enough left to make a match (mismatchy) for Sloane!
Now- here's for my cool plan. (It's more than just a way for me to get all the things on my wishlist...i swear!). How about I send something cute and handmade to everyone I know? You'll get a cute little package in the mail, you'll smile for the rest of the day (at least until one of your animals or children throws up on it): happiness. AND THEN- this bit is important because you've got to pay it forward- you go onto Etsy. Check out my list (because i'm the one who just made your day) and order something for me...or something off my list and suprise me with a toothfairy pillow or a robot monster. There's heaps of things for like $3, so that's totally reasonable...and how fun will it be for us to be getting packages of loveliness?
Plus we're supporting these folks who are using their creative genius to make things! So, it's a good cause. And these are independent people so they're all willing to make something to your color specification and ship them to the address you say (even if it's in France). Nothing expensive, just like a barrette, headband or little necklace pendant.
ooh, goody...this will be so fun!
Send me your address if you're not sure that I have it (I have lost a thing or two in my life...if you got a Christmas letter...that's a good sign I have it!)

3 comments:

thekellyfive said...

This is AWESOME!!! I was just lamenting how I miss all the cool stuff in Okinawa and Annalise has now outgrown all her mismatching Japanese clothing from Jusco, San-A, and the "Bunny" store! I'm already addicted to handmade stuff on Ebay, so this could be seriously dangerous... I'll email you my address since I'm not too sure about leaving it posted for the world to see. I'm already drooling over the knit beanies and sushi-guy print bibs...

thekellyfive said...

Hey! I got your comment and emailed my addy. How does one access another's "wish list"? What is your username? Would that help?

thekellyfive said...

Hey! Check out this website too: www.indiecollective.net It has links to all kinds of cool vendor websites!!